Answer by A Quora admin:
I am quite sure that any CS/math/EE prof at U. Toronto is smart enough to work at Google, if they so desired. However:
- Their research interests might be unrelated to applications that Google is developing, and they might not wish to take on an engineering or management role.
- They might feel that they have more freedom in academia than at Google.
- They might enjoy lecturing and advising graduate students.
- They might feel that Google is "evil".
- They might feel that they can have a bigger impact on the world in academia than in Silicon Valley.
- They might not wish to relocate, particularly if they have a family.
- They might have tenure and be unwilling to give it up.